Saturday, May 8, 2010

River Wild, CSNY and folk pop

In the past two decades high schools have been creating enriched programs. I myself am the victim of two - middle school business program and high school arts program. I can personally claim that the latter definitely ruined any desire to excel in musical performance. I have now come to terms that I am not a performer and will never be in a band. I am simply a listener and to some extent a critic. So now, everyone once in a while I get to watch some of my art school friends do something absolutely breathe taking.

My friend Jeff has amazed me once before with a little ditty about a spaceship and big love. Maturing ten fold, he put out a pretty little gem with a few chums under the name River Wild. It sounds like if Crosby Stills Nash and Young gave Fleet Foxes a good punch in the stomach. If you hope to 5:26 or the bridge of the second song, I can't help but think of Crosby Stills Nash and Young, a comparison I never thought to mash the campfire like indie sensations to.

Which brings me to push the tune: "Suite Judy Blue Eyes" written by Stephen Stills and performed by Crosby Stills and Nash. It's this beautiful tune about how it's not working out between Stills and Judy Collins (folk sensation of the sixties). It's a really remarkable song and it definitely got me through a lonely race last fall. It also is a fond memory of a friend that passed away recently, it was his favourite song.

Or alternatively, the amazing breakdown in the tune "Carry On" off of their album Deja Vu.

So mushy sentiments aside, get on Youtube and check out River Wild and revive your CSNY albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment