Monday, May 31, 2010

"Happy Together" by the Turtles

I had the opportunity to see the Turtles a couple of years ago at Hippie Fest (completely lame I know!) and I was completely shocked by what nuts they were. For those of you who don't know the Turtles are from time to time they are also also Flo & Eddie, two of the founding members of the band - Howard 'Eddie' Kaylan and Mark 'Flo' Volman. As Flo & Eddie, they took their offbeat style to work with Frank Zappa on a handful of albums and serve as backup vocals to the likes of T-Rex, Steely Dan, The Ramones and the Boss. At Hippie Fest (!!) it was just Flo & Eddie. They seemed more like a comedy act, than the clean cut sound I so often heard on their epic tune "Happy Together".

They also made music too, in 1975 they released - "Rebecca."

Seeing Flo & Eddie live really shattered by impression of the band behind "Happy Together." I always perceived them as a serious band, and a serious love song. You can however see how goofy this band really was in this 'live' video of them from the '60s. The song was also spoofed on That 70's show.

Believe it or not but "Happy Together" was my parents wedding song. It doesn't strike me as a dancing song fit for the wedding song, but my parents made it work with my brother who was six or seven at the time in between the newlywed couple. Anytime the song is heard, my parents immediately call each other to tell the other that it's playing. It's their way of refreshing their vows.

No comments:

Post a Comment