Friday, April 22, 2011

Broken Social Scene at the Ventura Theatre; Tuesday April 20, 2011


Seeing Broken Social Scene has become somewhat boring for me. Since the release of their last album 'Forgiveness Rock Record,' they've really shaved down their list of artists. To me the band has downgraded from a labour of love to a force of habit. 

Their live shows have turned into the Kevin Drew show where he says ridiculous things. I'm not sure if I appreciate his banter, although it can be often entertaining. Shenanigans aside, Drew has an incredible voice to listen to. He can turn it up when he needs to or down when he's just helping out. I think although he is the band's least appealing member, he does hold the band together like super glue. 

Some kid got kicked out mid-show for smoking pot. Kevin Drew yelled out - "Aww yeah, sorry man. Happened to me at Rage Against the Machine"

I was surprised most by the venue - TEENY TINY. They even divided half of it off with a huge gym style curtain. Drew made a comment at the beginning of the show about how he felt like he was in high school, he stated that this gig was going to be high school themed. He stuck true to his world by playing "Lover's Spit" and insisting everyone slow dance. Some people even did. 

In chatting with them post gig, the band really felt that it was a young gig as the show was open to all ages. It didn't feel particularly young, everyone seemed to be of a good age. 

The second last song was "Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl" sung by Lisa Lobsinger. Kevin introduced the tune as "one for the girls." 

It's really unfortunate to see this band play such a sloppy set. I mean, I was excited and I did have fun, but it just seems so out of touch to ways I have seen them play before. 



It is however always a treat to see Andrew Whiteman live. I find his live presence absolutely intoxicating!


No comments:

Post a Comment