Saturday, April 23, 2011

Coachella 2011: aftermath eight, Bright Eyes

So, rumour has it Bright Eyes is closing. With that in mind, this show was extremely special to me as this may be the last time I could hear his beloved tunes live.

Conor Oberst, frontman of Bright Eyes is somewhat of a musical genius. He started making albums in his early teens and hasn't looked back since. He's the brian power behind the Saddle Creek label and has participated in countless other projects and albums, my favourite being the Traveling Wilburys-esq Monsters of Folk. Very appropriately named.

This show was everything I wanted it to be at Coachella. A few years back I bought a Coachella DVD that was released around the time I'm Wide Awake It's Morning was. On the DVD he played at dusk, a really gorgeous time to have a set - not too hot, but not too cold. To top it all off, completely beautiful lighting to accentuate the mountains that surround the polo grounds that Coachella is set on. The DVD version he played "Lua," one of my favourite Bright Eyes songs, it sadly was not played this set.

This DVD served as my first impressions of Coachella - bathing suits, hot sun, beautiful sunsets and lots of people enjoying fab music. I'd say those impressions were pretty spot on to my first Coachella. This video really is Coachella.



Instead, I felt he had an eclectic mix of songs across the board drawing "Four Winds" from Cassadaga, "Old Soul Song (For The New World Order)" and "We Are Nowhere and It's Now" from I'm Wide Awake; "Bowl of Oranges" and "Lover I Don't Have to Love" from Lifted amongst other really fabulous tunes.





There's something really impressive about watching Conor Oberst and company live. You are certain to have a well put together set with an impeccable sound. I can't really articulate just how good these musicians are. Between Conor Oberst and Mike Mogis,  you really can't go wrong.

It's been a while since I have seen Bright Eyes. I have seen them three times to date and the last gig was in support of Cassadaga in 2007! This show served as one that I could hear some songs live that I hadn't before like - "Bowl of Oranges" and "Lover I Don't Have To Love." It was really great to hear the girl-guy contrast compliments of Laura Burhenn of the Mynabirds. Burhenn apparently did some vocal work on his new album  titled The People's Key. She did a fabulous job in "We Are Nowhere and It's Now" and "Lover I Don't Have To Love" and in some bits even taking over vocals completely, small parts albeit.

His most recent tour has had a great load of trumpet lines. It was really brilliant to hear the intricate and dominant trumpet parts replace the plain, overly country sounds of the violin. It really made "Four Winds" for me this go 'round.

After his performance I bought The People's Key used for nine bucks! Great set. Great buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment