Friday, April 22, 2011

Coachella 2011: aftermath six, Mumford and Sons

I have these moments when I feel as though I live under a rock. The first time I heard of this band it was through facebook status' of friends who like this band. I believe they played a show at the Mod Club last fall some time. I thought very little of it.

Then I went to a local pub's open mic night and they played a cover of "Little Lion Man." It reminded me a lot of Spirit of the West's "I'm Not At My Best" for the celtic flare it boast so well!

Mumford and Sons were playing on the Coachella stage which is the festival's largest stage. I was amazed to see that they could draw a crowd of the amount of people they did. I knew it was trouble when a group of young things pushed me all the way to the core of the crowd about fifteen rows back. I had a few arm pits in my face, not a position I really wished to be in.


After about thirty minutes of pit to face action, they took the stage. Their band was very full - a few guitars, the occasional upright bass, keyboards, banjo and the occasional drum. I was surprised to find not all their songs required a drum kit.

Mumford and Sons makes great music - live and recorded. A very fine, polished band that have made good for themselves in a shockingly short time. They're super young and I really look forward to the crap they put out in the upcoming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment