Sunday, April 10, 2011

Timber Timbre at Trinity St. Paul's Church; Friday April 10, 2011

FRIDAY APRIL 10, 2011. Can you believe it? Time flies so fast. If there's one thing that's consistent it's time, everything else - throw to the waste.

So, with that being said, I would just like to say that I saw Timber Timbre last night. Which you know, two years ago I could have said without anyone giving a hoot. And I did. Two years ago, I saw him play The Music Gallery, Trinity St. Paul's younger sibling church. It's pretty hard to believe just how well Taylor Kirk has done in the last year. This was his album release gig for his new one Creep on Creepin,' a very eerie title that fits his very eerie sound.

I just stumbled upon this video of a gig he did at South by Southwest! REALLY? I can't help but feel giddy to see success flourish so nicely.



Studio:



Timber Timbre is truly a household name and I'm really proud to say that I was able to see him really unfold.

His band has expanded along with his repertoire. It's funny because I remember hearing his song "Demon Host" at his gig at The Music Gallery and he had the stage filled with people. He had people singing a very eerie "oooh, oooh, oooh, oh." Which just haunted me. In comparison to this show, his sound has really filled itself, which I think is a result of better consideration for instrumentation. For instance, that SXSW NPR video is incredibly full for just three people playing it.

People were definitely feeling Timber Timbre's lush sound. The lights went out with the exception of a few red coloured spotlights and a few hand held lights hung on some stands. It reminded me of the long hours I use to spend in the darkroom (serious), or that scene in the Woody Allen film Annie Hall where Alvy brings out a red lightbulb to set the mood (not so serious). I'm not sure if I was feeling the red mood lights, I guess it put more emphasis on the sound than the sight.

This was my first go at his new tunes. I didn't realise the gig would be so dominated by new tunes, he only sported two tunes off of the older album Timber Timbre (2009). The two tunes were "Demon Host" which he plopped in the first bit of his set, much to my surprise and "Magic Arrow" which he left near the end.



Of the few articles I've read of Timber Timbre in the last few weeks, I get this altered image of his perception as a successful performer. In the Exclaim article, he talks about not just writing for himself, but other people too, the audience. Judging from the live gig - I really like his work that he wrote alone, it's bare and minimal. It has a sound that sounds more old blues, less haunted house on halloween.

i.e.





The openers were a band called Tasseomancy, which was lead by two twin girls that I had actually seen before, under the moniker Ghost Bees. Funny enough, I actually saw them with Timber Timbre two years ago. I wasn't really having them then either, but they had a really developed, clean sound. The only regret I have for their performance is the use of a single steel drum. I stick to my guns in saying there are few words sounds than the sound of a steel drum.

My mate Chris, who was my hot date to the show, pointed out that he enjoyed Tasseomancy more than Timber Timbre. I personally didn't, but that's probably because of his amazing version of "Demon Host" and my particular affinity for the individual song. He mentioned how the minimal drum use of the band really droned out each tune making it sound the exact same. I couldn't agree more with what he said. There's something insanely repetitive about a continuous and constant booming sound of the bass drum.

I WISH I HEARD:

No comments:

Post a Comment