Monday, April 4, 2011

Coachella 2011: preamble

Coachella is a mere ten days away! I'm a little wry because I don't know all of the bands (not that I'd ever expect myself to!) So I've taken to hacking through the list and picking out the artists that I think will put on the finest show. Fortunately, there are people that are as dorky, or as into music as I am who have wrote details on the message board regarding the acts playing the festival.

Stay tuned and make sure to search 'Coachella 2011' in the search bar to your right to track my musical adventures up to as well as in California.

The Love Language (Merge)

Eliza Doolittle

I know I've heard Eliza Doolittle's track "Pack Up" in a commercial in the last year. My musical memory's pretty good, but this one has certainly stumped me! She's only twenty-three!



Trentemoller

So, it's kind of surreal to find out of an artist that brings in reams of fans and no one knows who the hell he is in Canada. On that note, meet Anders Trentemoller, a Danish electronic musician. This has to be one of the most high energy (and almost overwhelming) songs that I've heard in a while. Check out that crowd:



Gogol Bordello

Gogol Bordello was never someone I flocked to. I first stumbled upon them after misplacing them in the pop/rock section of my work - a co-working threw them in punk, although not very punk at all. They have a sound that wikipedia describes as gypsy-rock. Not sure what I'd call them, but they definitely have an Eastern European sound to them that a few recent musical acts come to mind when I describe Gogol Bordello. Funny enough Gogol Bordello is from the Lower East Side of New York.

I first was subject to a heavy listening to this band while watching the off-beat movie Wrist Cutters. With a pretty dynamite cast in my books, I didn't really give much thought to the music at all. It was just kind of there to accentuate the already odd film.

Not entirely in love with the music, but it'd be a blast to hear and see live:



Here's a few other acts who sadly are not playing Coachella to get you into the Eastern European sound:



No comments:

Post a Comment