Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mogwai at the Phoenix; Tuesday April 26, 2011

This was my post-rock week. I have to say, in just three days I feel like I've had a serious education on the post-rock genre.

I first heard Mogwai about two years ago on the Matador at Fifteen compilation album. I bought this album on a limb at Sonic Boom because it was less than ten bucks for three solid discs. This album holds some tunes that have made their way deep in my mind and heart.


Most notably is the Matmos tune "For The Trees" which is pretty obvious how I took that one and ran with that.

But it also had the first Mogwai tune I got my ears on - "Hunted By A Freak." Mogwai played this song second last and it was also the second song of their encore. It was one of a small handful of songs I was familiar with, but definitely without a doubt my favourite tune of theirs. There's something incredibly eerie about it with the build ups and swells throughout. Furthermore the additional non-instrument sounds really add a lot to the tune.



Two other tunes that I really love but didn't get the chance to hear live are "Rage: Man" and "Take Me Somewhere Nice."





Surface listening to this band most of their music sounds the same. I absolutely adore how you can really feel the complexity of an instrumental tune when you are very familiar with it. Mogwai makes tunes that sound anthem-like without sounding overly glamourised, almost effortless.

My friend lost his mind when he heard the tune "Mogwai Fear Satan." A tune with a flute bit in the calm before the heavy build up. This was the final song they played sans flute.



I'd see this band again in a heartbeat. I can't wait to listen to their catalogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment