Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Coachella 2011: aftermath fourteen, The Joy Formidable and the Twelves

I didn't think much of this band when I stumbled upon a positive comment on the message boards about them.

I however passed their CD half a dozen times in the local record shop and found myself slowly drawn to their album not thinking very highly of their music.

This band although very poppy, a hard sound to avoid with a female lead, are incredibly good. For a three piece, they sound fantastic. All the way from North Wales, the Joy Formidable really packed it.

The bleach blonde front woman Ritzy Bryan was perfect in every way live. She made the most ridiculous faces with every word she'd sing, you could tell she was doing what she truly loves to do.

They had a pretty early afternoon set, I remember looking behind them as they were setting up thinking how lovely the view is looking behind the stage. I had a very rare but always welcomed moment of complete bliss.  A life orgasm.



I adore the song "Whirling," a great feel good tune, whatever she's singing about. This band should make it big with music as accessible as this:



I trotted on over to the Twelves before The Joy Formidable's set was up. I was really surprised just how much I enjoyed hearing DJ's play live, the Sarhara tent was the electronic tent. I found myself there two or three times throughout the weekend. The Twelves have been sporting an incredible reputation for being the next Daft Punk, except from Brazil.




They definitely didn't let me down. Two seemingly dorky guys in plaid made the entire crowd move. I really liked their take on Phoenix's "Lisztomania."

I would love to see these guys in Toronto, definitely got me moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment