Saturday, April 30, 2011

Coachella 2011: aftermath sixteen, The Morning Benders, Warpaint and Cee-Lo Green

Cee-Lo Green played the first day in the late afternoon. This was my big conundrum because Odd Future, The Morning Benders, Warpaint and Cee-Lo were all more or less playing at the same time. By some miracle I managed to hear all three acts as I had wanted to.

I went to Odd Future first, they went on a little late. I stayed for four songs or so and hopped over to see The Morning Benders to just hear them play their last song, "Excuses." Absolutely delightful, I've never seen them play this song to an audience that were active enough to sing along. Lead singer Chris Chu divided the audience up to sing different bits, people seemed slightly confused, but it all sounded lovely.



After my quick fix of the Morning Benders I ran over to catch Warpaint who I found absolutely intoxicating. I think Warpaint were my choice band of the weekend for new acts to dive into. Warpaint is comprised of five absolutely stunning women who are fantastic at everything they do. It was a toss up between the drummer and the bassist for standout musicians.



I once met a semi-famous bassist who told me that the bass is a very manly instrument. He continued by saying it takes a strong man to play it. If I knew of Jenny Lee Lindberg, I'd stick her to him. Lindberg was absolutely alluring with her guitar playing. I have never been so attracted to a woman in my life!

Lindberg is actually the sister of actress and former Warpaint member Shannyn Sossaman.

I stayed for the rest of the Warpaint set, finding myself pleasantly surprised. I had bought their CD based on good feelings earlier that day.

I sprinted to see Cee-Lo Green to catch the final two songs of his set. He played his Gnarls Barkly hit "Crazy" which sounded a little lazy and poorly concluded. He then followed it by "Fuck You" which bled into what I could only assume was the closer "Don't Stop Believing."

After his performance of "Crazy" he complained that he felt rushed and the sound was crap. He asked the audience to raise their middle fingers up in the air for his next tune.

I was really happy to see that he had an all-girl back-up band supporting him. After playing "Fuck You," his sound was cut out because he had gone over his time limit. He walked off the stage with a towel on his head while cursing. His back-up band continued to play without full sound or vocals.

"This shit sounds terrible. They're fucking rushing me"

There was a stylish black guy behind me who made a comment about how he was one of the only black guy he'd seen all day and that's how he decided to act. I kind of got a kick out of that comment as Cee-Lo kind of was being an asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment