Sunday, April 24, 2011

Coachella 2011: aftermath nine, OFWGKTA

It takes me a few minutes to spell the acronym out while rattling off what it actually means in my head. Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All. What a name!

These guys are seriously hot shit. I hate hot tickets, I've had three serious heartbreaks due to sold out shows. Now, I'm pretty good at keeping on top of this stuff, but damn, some just sell out before I can possibly even catch a breath.

So - that list -

Death Cab for Cutie at the Phoenix
OFWGKTA at the Mod Club
James Blake at Lee's

But onto the main purpose of this note - OFWGKTA is a group of young guys aged 17-23. They're a hip hop group. Between you and me, I'm not going to pretend I know how to even dance around this genre, because I don't. But, what I will say is that these guys have some serious energy. In the first tune, they had people chanting WOLF GANG WOLF GANG and SWEAT SWEAT SWEAT as loud as they could and one of the runts jumped into the crowd full force.



They were definitely entertaining and I can see why they exploded as they have. It's just something new and fun that people are sinking their teeth into. Additionally, it seems like they're putting out some real quality music.

I love the attention that has been given to Earl Sweatshirt. People were really let down that Earl was not going to be at the Coachella gig because he was sent to boarding school. So, in response people were decked out in shirts that read "Free Earl." Cute.

Alright, here are some hand picked tunes from the LA natives (also the Coachella set openers)



"Sandwitches" features the two guys in the Nardwuar video below:



Nardwuar taking on Odd Future at SXSW:



Tyler the Creator's solo material:

No comments:

Post a Comment