Friday, April 8, 2011

On Grey's Anatomy's music

I really like the TV show Grey's Anatomy. There's something about super attractive doctors mixed with steamy love stories and great music that hits me the right way.

But what rubs me the wrong way is how they steal titles from tunes that I really like, or at very least am aware of.

For instance, their last episode titled "Song Beneath the Song" was lifted from a Maria Taylor tune. This takes me back to the high school days when I use to be very protective about great music that I really liked. I use to make sure that no one knew about it because it was my little secret. It killed me when people, especially people  I didn't like, knew the songs that would make my skin quiver. I've distanced myself greatly from that, in that I don't really care about who knows what, because I'm all about sharing music now. But, what aches me most is how these shows are unoriginally naming episodes after songs.

At the arts high school I went to, each year there was a dance review choreographed by dance students called Mosaix. This was a big deal (at the time). I remember when we were the top dogs, or seniors, a group of girls leading a particular number called their piece "One More Night" and put it to the music of Death Cab For Cutie's "Tiny Vessels." That killed me. I think I was at the peak of my snobby indie phase and knee deep in Death Cab at that time. Where did these legs get off castrating two of my favourite tunes at the time!!

Thanks ladies!! (Although, I secretly wished I was in their dance number)

Not a completely useless rant post, here's the soundtrack to it:





No comments:

Post a Comment